Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Golden Girls : Sex and the City :: the egg : the chicken

I was talking about "Golden Girls" the other day. How much I loved it, how much I lamented the deaths of two cast members this year, how much as a kid I thought Blanche was freakin' fantastic.
And something came to me. Now, I am sure you may have realized this. And maybe it's just because both shows exhibit four female archetypes, but "Golden Girls" and "Sex and the City" seem to be pretty much the same show. In fact, if they keep making movies, eventually, the girls of SATC will all move in together in Florida and carry on much like the "Golden Girls." (Which is my plan, by the way. If I get married, and my hubby dies before me, me and my most fabulous girlfriends who are in the same boat should totally move in together and just laugh our butts off for the rest of our lives. Beats the old-folks home. By a lot. Moving on...)
Carrie is Sophia. Quirky and demanding. Funny and bossy. Flighty. Head in the clouds. Whiny. Bratty.
Samantha is obviously Blanche. Slutty, glamorous, doesn't give a dang. Frankly, sometimes bitchy.
Charlotte is Rose. Traditional, pretty. Slightly ditsy in Charlotte's case, majorly ditsy in Rose's. Easily disappointed. Idealist.
Miranda is clearly Dorothy. Uptight. Hard to please. A real pain in the a most of the time. Down to earth. A real "get down to business" type girl.

Anywho. I was going to write a real academic essay on this*, with research and citations and all, but I figured a quick little list would get my point across, and be less painful for everyone involved.
*No I wasn't.

4 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

I love it, and totally agree.

HiccupMeL said...

I've always felt that if I don't get marry -- or the hubby (if I get one) dies, I am totally living Golden Girls style. I'm with you!! We'd be awesome. I'll be Rose from St. Olaf. :)

Kristen said...

I already have a 40 year plan in place with my best friend that if we're not married by 40, we'll move in together and buy a beach house. However, we're now thinking this might be a good idea even if we're married. The guys can always visit and get their own house next door.!

Melissa said...

I see this is an older post but I just had to say . . well played!