Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Movies

Just saw "Gran Torino" today. Man, it really is freakishly good. I was surprised. Not really being too familiar with Clint Eastwood, I was pretty impressed. Totally recommend it. Of course, the language was a little harsh, and his racial slurs were pretty rampant, but it was an amazing story with great characters. Really, really recommend it. I also think the finger-gun is a much underused thing in our society. Thanks, Clint, for bringing it back. I plan to employ it in my daily life.
I saw "The Class," a foreign film I had been pretty excited about based on the trailer, a couple of weeks ago. What a huge disappointment. For some reason, I was expecting something very "Half Nelson," (which I recommend if you haven't seen), but I was way off. It was sooooooo long, and nothing ever really happened. Aside from the audience becoming extremely annoyed by the hideously rude, not to mention unattractive to the utmost degree, 13-15-year-old student punks in this guy's class. Deux thumbs down.

I just re-watched "The Royal Tenenbaums." Man, so good. Has the best attempted-suicide scene ever. SO dark, and real, and scary. Amazing. Plus, Gwen's eye-make-up has proven a useful template to me in years past, when men have made me mad and bulk pretty panty shopping is unavoidable.
Okay, so you'll laugh at me, as Anti-"Twilight" as I have always been, but last night I saw "Twilight." And, I guess I gotta admit, my expectations were so low, and I thought I'd hate it so much, that I actually enjoyed it a little bit. Lame? Sure. Bad acting? Yep. Bad special effects? Oh, yeah. But did I throw up, turn it off early, or storm out? No. Go, "Twilight." Gotta say, something about a man loving you because deep down he wishes he could eat you for dinner is a little bit sexy. Or creepy. Also, gotta love those dead eyes. Or not. Basically, I didn't hate it. Not as much as I hated "Lakeview Terrace," or "Rachel Getting Married." Now, that's not saying much, but it's saying something.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The Class was the BIGGEST disappointment ever! Ugh! I fell asleep twice.

Mrs. Bennett said...

I really loved Gran Torino too.