Monday, April 20, 2009

Gripefest.

Okay, I have been walking/doing sprints the past week or so out in my neighborhood. There's this little trail about half a mile down the road, and I walk over there and do my thing. Here is what I hate:
a) Texas drivers don't respect a cross-walk. I am telling you, not only do they not slow down and wait if they see someone waiting to cross, but they would happily mow me down if I were mid-way across and didn't move out of their way quickly enough. In fact, I'd be willing to take it a bit farther and say that they would actually try to hit me if I were in the street, but not in their way. Say I'm in the other lane, but still in the street. I would not put it past them to actually change lanes, hit me, and then high-five their passenger.
b) Other people on walks, etc, walk past, I say "hi," and they either just smile or completely ignore me. I verbalized, dude. It's not hard to say "hi" back. I mean, a smile is okay, I'm not gonna hate you if you smile, but I am going to be mildly annoyed. The total ignore is completely unacceptable, though. That justifies retaliation. Like, the other day, my mom said "hi" to this lady on the trail (they were the only people for a mile), and the lady totally ignores her, and keeps looking forward. Later, we took mom's dogs over to run around in the park-y part. There is that same stupid lady, walking backwards, no less. So, when she walks over (still no greeting) and says "can you put your dogs on a leash so I don't trip over them?" Mom says "you won't trip over them." Jerky lady says, "I'm doing rehab." Mom says, "you won't trip over them, I'll keep them in the grass." Had the lady said "hi" earlier, mom says, she would have absolutely put the on a leash, no problem. Man, she's great.
c) Sprints are hard. I really hate when I have to start one in front of people. Today, I had to start one in front of these kids. It looks so bizarre, like I'm trying to show off, "look at me, I'm not just walking, I can run so fast! Har har har!" But even worse is finishing a sprint and then seeing people. Because here I am, walking at a quite normal pace, panting, probably looking like I'm about to pass out or die or both. I look like such a freak. The people are like, "wow, she's in even worse shape than she looks! Girlfriend's about to have a coronary from strolling."

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I have an embarrassing story about working out, but I think its too TMI to actually post in detail. Lets say it involves a stair master, then later on a mirror, then me trying to dry off the back of my hot pink tank top, and making a hasty exit with my back to the wall. I know I should own my sweat, but I just dont wanna.