Saturday, November 22, 2008

I saw "The Lakehouse," umm, no... "Lakewood Manor?" Hmm... "Crystal Lake Cove?" Oh, yeah... "Lakeview Terrace." And it was memorable.

*Spoiler Alert* on "Lakeview Terrace" and "Eagle Eye." Not that you were planning on seeing either... Let's be honest.

Oh, man. What a waste of time. Now, yeah, I did see the previews. And so, yeah, I was already pretty sure I wouldn't like it. But, we decided to hit up the dollar movies and this was about the only thing we hadn't seen. Plus, I like Kerry Washington because of "Save the Last Dance" memories.
1st issue: these people buy a house right in the path of major California wild-fires. Umm, perhaps not planning ahead?
2nd issue: it's all about how this guy (Sam L. J.) hates that his new neighbors are an inter-racial couple. And he goes to their house-warming with this big chip on his shoulder, and you look around the party and every single couple is inter-racial. Point made, strange movie. Or, not. It was like "huh? Oh, that's realistic..."
3rd issue: Everything was made to be wayyy wayyy more dramatic than it actually was. The music was way overdone. SLJ was kind of crazy, but mostly, all he did was verbally insult the new neighbor. Oh, I'm scared! He told him he wasn't welcome! I'm shaking with the thrill of this "thriller!" He's terrorizing them! No, man, "terrorizing" and "crazy" is boiling your neighbor's rabbit ("Fatal Attraction"), keeping dead people in the walls of your house ("Disturbia"), being Kevin Bacon on "The River Wild." Yeah, he maybe starts terrorizing them the last 10 minutes of the show.
I could go on and on. But, anywho. I think you get the idea. Waste of 2 bucks and 2 hours.
Oh, but SLJ's cop partner was over-the-top gorgeous. And, the gorgeous Italian from "Gray's Anatomy" made a cameo. Hello!

"Traitor" was decent. Love Don Cheadle. Hate Guy Pearce. What a crappy actor. I think he was supposed to be someone we could relate to, but frankly, the Don C character (a suspected terrorist) is much more sympathetic.
It was definitely slow, and wrapped up at the end with a much smaller bang than I expected, and an awkward conversation, but it was intense and explored some interesting moral questions. Plus, there were loads of gorgeous dark men. I mean, especially "Omar." Meow.
I give it a "so-so," but compared to "Lakeview Terrace," it is Oscar-worthy cinematic genius. I liked it okay. Probably won't buy it.






Thanks, Natasia, for the recommendation. What a strange, sad movie "The United States of Leland" is. I really liked it. It will really make you think, and feel. I totally recommend it.
Ryan Gosling looks soooo different, btw. Yep, that's him, in the red.













"Wall-E." Saw it a while ago. I think it's pretty watch-worthy. I'm not really into these Disney/Pixar flicks usually, but it seems like I keep seeing them.
This one is pretty darn sweet. There is a touch of the environmentalist/save-the-world political spin, but I think we can pretty much expect that in anything nowadays.
There was a moment at the end that was so sad I was actually sobbing. I had to turn my face totally to the left so my friends wouldn't see. Embarrassing, but worth sharing, because that's what a good job they did expressing the emotional aspect of a robot.



Yep, I saw this too. Told you I've been seeing cartoons. This was surprisingly funny and enjoyable. I recommend it. It's fresh.











"Eagle Eye" was pretty good. For the type of movie it is. The whole computer-becomes-almost-human-and-decides-to-
take-over has been done. To death. But, it had good action sequences, special effects, et al. And Michelle "pig-face" Monaghan (that's from "Dan in Real Life) was way less annoying than she has been in the past.
I actually liked it. It was cheesy, yes. But still recommendable.

No comments: