Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years, New schmears (Now I'm craving a bagel)

What's the big deal with New Years', anyway?
Last night, I was at a totally fun party, and everyone was freaking out and screaming as we counted down. The whole celebration was lost on me, really. (Perhaps because there was not a tall-dark-and-handsome available at midnight to ring the thing in right, if you know what I mean).
Anywho, all the screaming got me thinking. What, exactly, were we (and by 'we,' I mean they, the girls in mini-dresses that may or may not have covered their lady-bits) screaming about?
It's a lot like high school graduation. So anticlimactic. Big deal. We got another year. It's not like, 'oh, good... we really thought the world might explode this time! Phew, we got another year! We have been allotted more time! Now, I can find that cure for cancer I've been working on, and figure out how to rid the world of Nicolas Cage's acting!'
I mean, fine. I like a New Year's Resolution as much as the next guy, and maybe you will see some of mine on here soon. But, the screaming is really over-the-top. Perhaps next year (if the world doesn't explode at midnight), y'all can spare my eardrums?
Or, maybe we can all wear graduation hats and move the tassell over, and high-five each other, while breathlessly exclaiming, 'I can't believe we made it!'

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet if zombies were real and would have crashed the party it would have made us really appreciate being alive right now.


i dont know what I am talking about. so i will stop, i just kept thinking that you would have felt something more if there were zombies.

Maigen said...

Haha! Girl, that is funny! I just laughed out loud!
And, strangely enough, that is the second reference to zombies in my life today. Seems to be a theme...
No, I totally appreciate being alive. Of course! Sometimes, social customs just weird me out, though... Next time I will try to think more about the zombies :)

Unknown said...

yes, i get it, i mean, i read your blog every day, i know we have a great appreciation for being alive, but the customs, i get it....i got freaking sprayed with a bottle of champagne last night, in the cold, and since i was the only one NOT drunk, I didn't find it that funny. Of course, if the dude had ended up giving me the kiss of a lifetime, i might be singing a different tune.


yeah, zombies, they've been randomly appearing in my life too lately.....


they're coming to get us.

Kerry said...

Hilarious! I think we all should wear caps and gowns next year.

Chelle said...

Man, now I can't stop thinking about zombies.

For reals though, New Years is ALWAYS lame. I thought that maybe this year would be a little better (as in I would be a little drunk, so I would THINK it was better) but it turned out it was about the same. I was still at a lame party, like most years, but instead of annoying mo's there were just annoying un-mo's, including, apparently 3 people doing coke in the bathroom. In the end we decided not to go freeze our lady-bits off in Central Park with everyone else, and went home to watch the ball drop on the internet. Wow, New Years is so meaningful. Maybe if there would have been zombies there...that would beat the silly custom any day.

Rhia Jean said...

I totally slept through it. It seems I missed a lot in the first few hours of this year. Yyyyyyeah. It really is overrated huh?

kitebrdr said...

I am stuck on you calling what Mr. Cage does acting. Shouldn't that word have " " around it. It has been down hill for the Nicster since Raising Arizona...