Sunday, April 6, 2008

All this Daylight Saving Time mumbo-jumbo

Last night, after sushi and the movie "Married Life" at the Angelika theater (which film is pretty good, by the way. Rachel McAdams' hair, make-up, clothes, etc rocked. She looked fabulous. The story is about a married man in the 40s who decides to leave his wife for another woman, but decides that instead of causing her the pain of leaving her, he should just kill her. It sounds a lot funnier than it really is. But, Patricia Clarkson, one of my fave actresses was in it. Love her. She's so classy. And Pierce Brosnon was less annoying than usual. Overall, I give it some thumbs up. Probably about 1 1/2 thumbs.) I went home and started messing with my laptop.
I was downloading a ton of files from my old computer, getting/naming pics, checking emails, etc, all while watching crappy 80's movies on the telly.
So, not really paying attention to time. Suddenly, I looked up and it was 4 am. 4 am? What am I, 19? Anyway, I quickly went to bed. I had to work today, so I was worried I was going to be dying from exhaustion.
So, I got up today (and I'd like to say, "I got up this morning," but who am I kidding?), and turned on Conference to listen while getting ready for work. (An aside: One of my favorite highlights is when President Monson said something like 'We tend to view our own misfortunes through "a distorted prism of pessimism." Turn to The Lord in faith, he will guide, comfort, and lead you through the storm.' Loved his talk.)
I realized, after what may have by-passed a double-take and gone strait to a quadra-take, that my alarm clock and my phone (on which I specifically turned off the auto-update the last time this happened) both showed it was an hour later than the tv showed. I looked at the clock in the kitchen. Yep, sure enough, my stupid clocks think today is DST. Again. Ever since they changed the date, every time it is actually DST, or every time the clocks think its DST, I have to spend like two weeks convincing my clocks that the time I reset them to every morning is the time I really want it to be. I hate it.
So, at "4 am," when I was thinking to myself, 'man, where did all the time go?' it really was 3 am. I wasn't crazy. It did get late faster than normal. It wasn't even the crappy 80's movie confusing my internal clock, although sometimes they can do that. (Have ya seen "Teen Witch?")

2 comments:

Alison said...

Ok, I'm going to bed soon--I swear! But I just had to say--my alarm clock went off today, and I was really tired, but I'm always tired, so I got up to go watch Conference. I got completely ready and was on the way out the door, when I realized that it was not in fact time for me to leave, but an hour before I needed to go. Arg! I couldn't go back to sleep, so, I did the kitchen and watched a cooking show until it was time to leave. Sometimes, I hate technology.

WhiteEyebrows said...

Don't hate technology... hate politicians who keep changing the rules on those of us who make the technology.

Try telling all the routers and servers in the whole world that run crucial things like... the internet... the new rules for DST time. Ugh... pain in our sides!