Sunday, May 18, 2008

You know what I really like?

The slow, ex-agg-er-at-ed clap (say it out loud, real staccato, emphasizing each syllable, whilst doing your own 'slow, exaggerated clap') in movies.
I saw "Definitely, Maybe," and there is a slow, exaggerated clap in that movie that at first I was sure could not be serious. But it was. I just can't imagine why movie-makers are so quick to incorporate that into films. It's not like that happens all the time in real life. I have never once seen a SEC during a real moment.
Tell me if I'm wrong, or if you have ever been able to pull that off without it being sarcastic (which I have done, as a joke, before).
Even though I am wary of any SEC in a movie, I still thoroughly enjoy a good SEC. It makes me laugh, the only problem is, the timing of my laughter is always way off, and makes me look like a jerk or an idiot.
Anyway, I liked the movie, perhaps despite the SEC. It was pretty cute, for a chick flick. Ditto for "Made of Honor," although that one was waaaayyyy tooooooo looooonnnnnngggg. But, Busy Phillips is in it, and that girl cracks me up. And, they go to Scotland. And, a Scottish bloke stuffs a basketball, like, a lot. It's pretty funny. I did, of course, note the striking similarities between this and "My Best Friend's Wedding," aside from the notable absence of my old friend, who when that movie came out, I equated to the best friend (in other words, I was Julia Roberts in that movie at that time), and the lack of crying all the way home from the theater. Sigh. Did any of that make sense?
Anyway, both cute chick flicks, "Definitely, Maybe" being the better of the two.

No comments: