Sunday, October 12, 2008

I keep thinking about...

So, after my super-duper-long "tagged" posts, and the possibility of the loss of most of my readers as a result, I waited to see if anyone I "tagged" would be just as bored as I was, and fill the darn things out.
My astute (and bored-that-day) friend Alison had one answer in particular (to "8 things you've learned from your past") that has been on my mind all week:
"Never make someone a priority in your life when you are only an option in theirs."
I SO do that. All the time. Wow, I gotta stop.
It's like, at what point does "loving your neighbor" and "being a good friend" turn into "being a doormat," or "being too available," or "being an option?"
Food for thought. Which is an expression that has always bewildered me. Is that even right?

2 comments:

Alison said...

I think a lot of women have a tendency to do that . . . be content with being some one's option, instead of demanding that we're the priority (when it comes to friends or guys). I still allow myself to slip into the "option" category when I forget that I really am great enough and cool enough to be a priority and anyone who treats me like an option doesn't understand who they're dealing with. So, when that happens, you know what I say in my head? "Well, sucka, I am no longer an option for you. Let all the others vie for your attention while I move on with life. Call me when you've figured out how things suck 'cause I'm not around and you understand how I should be treated . . . hopefully, for you, I'll still be around." Boo-yah! :)

Natasia said...

I just posted that on my blog as well. You'll have to take a look. I think the same thing-I sometimes don't think I'm "So great" so I let myself be available as only the option. And then I have great friends who remind me that I should be the priority-that I should be every guys dream girl-(although they are just being nice, it's a nice affirmation). It makes me think, at least for the moment-that I am great, and that I should be treated accordingly. -and As Allison stated-when this happens with guys-I stand up for myself and let them know I shouldn't be dragged along-and move on. But then there's the forgiving part of me-who will forgive, forget, take him back and let him do it all over again. Agh!!! I need to work on that part! ha ha.