Friday, January 18, 2008

Starting out in the Evening


I really liked this film! Of course, you've got to be willing to journey down to the Inwood Theater in Dallas, a romantic old movie-house that features indies and classics. Luckily, I was. It is the theater where I saw "Lost in Translation" by myself on a Wednesday evening a few years back. I have a soft spot for the Inwood in my heart.
So, anyway, in "Starting out in the Evening," (a beautiful name for a film, I think), Lauren Ambrose plays a grad student who is writing her thesis on Leonard Schiller, an author played extremely well by Frank Langella. His character is debonair and optimistic and thoughtful. His daughter's strange life adds an interesting side-story. Lauren Ambrose is a bit crazy, actually, with strange mannerisms; eyes that are open just a tiny bit too much throughout the film; and a small crazy smile, 'like a clown smile,' I remarked during the show. She was just a little too eager, or star-struck, or something. The main offering I appreciated by her was her fabulous hair and a make-up look I have at times considered: no eye-makeup (with very fair lashes) and red lips.
Anyway, at least rent it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Utah may not have Inwood, but we do have Sundance, and next week, I will venture forth and partake and hopefully find delightful films sans clown smiles, cause those are just creepy!

Rubymelt said...

I saw Obama at the Inwood theater and it was great! I definitely agree it is a quaint theater and worthy of a visit now and then. Love "Lost In Translation"!

AND I love your hair cut. You look fabulous!

Maigen said...

Thanks, girl!!