Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hairspray

We went to "Hairspray," the musical last night. It was waaaay better than I expected. I kind of thought I would hate it, actually, because my only experience with "Hairspray" is the disgusting Ricki Lake movie from my childhood. I totally boycotted the new movie because of that. However, musicals (in the theater) are usually pretty good, so I wanted to give it a chance.


So, this totally cute boy played "Link," at least he was cute from the balcony. He looked like my cool Buddy-Holly-esque friend, Nick. He is, of course, mo. Or at least attends BYU. He is Taylor Frey, and that name is actually totally familiar to me. I bet I knew of him in my Utah years. He was really good as Link, had good hair, cute clothes, and there was this part where you could see his big smile all the way in the back of the huge theater.

So, he's obviously young, and also obviously cute. He actually looks a little like that idiot, Ben Affleck. If Taylor Frey ever googles himself (which he inevitably will, don't be embarrassed, we have all done it) and runs across this blog, I am available for dates. Just in case.
My favorite part of the play was when the man playing the mom and the dad were singing a duet, and the dad said something funny, and the mom-guy totally lost it. The orchestra was just playing this note, forever, as he tried to compose himself and keep going with the song. He was just cracking up, and the dad was cracking up, and the audience was cracking up. It was very endearing. I have never seen anything like it.
One observation: with the overwhelming trendiness that is "going green," and the overwhelming popularity of the "Hairspray" show, there is a very great disconnect. The actors were constantly spraying hairspray from big aerosol cans. Don't you think the left would try to get this show shut down?! Or make them pay for their extra impact on the environment? I'm just sayin'. I don't want it to be shut down, and I am also, as you know, not a big believer in global warming. In fact, the play inspired me, and my hair was extra-big today. I did a Carrie hair-do from the SATC movie, just for your info. And it was fabulous!

2 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

ha.. I met Taylor on a few occasions at BYU. we have lots of mutual friends, but never really knew each other well.

I thought he was awesome as Link, and I was totally shocked to see him in it. I had no idea he was on a tour...

Mrs. Bennett said...

I love the broadway show. I hated the ricky lake version of Hairspray as well, and still have not seen the newest movie. I've heard it's good though so I might have to give it a try.