Monday, June 23, 2008

Young Single Adults, meet OLD SINGLE ADULT

That's me. Old Single Adult. I attended parts of a YSA conference last weekend, and it just reminded me how old I am... No, I take that back, not how old I am, but how much I don't like teenagers. Because I'm fabulous, "old" or not.
I turned to my friend Leslie (and the guy she was flirting with) and said, "I will be alone forever... I will be alone forever... I will be alone forever."
The guy said, "by choice?"
I, very dramatically, mind you, gestured to the crowd, "you see these guys?"
Okay, forgetting for a moment that only 5 of the, oh, I don't know, 75 guys there were attractive (to me), we gotta do a little math. 90% of those 75 guys were 21. If not 19. And my absolute limit is 23. (And that's gotta be SOME CHARMING 23-year old).
ANYway, I don't really feel like doing the math, but what chance do you think there is that all 5 of the attractive guys were in the 10% of datable-age guys? Not bloody likely. All this having been said, Saturday night I
  1. ate pretty good mexican food, for free [catered at the conference. Guacamole, yum!]
  2. went on a double-date (with my sister as my date) [Leslie and the guy and Georgia and me all hung out, Georgia and I not realizing that we were about to be trapped on an awkward first date between the other two. We were not pleased.]
  3. exposed myself at a church event [a girl walked in on my in my undies in a bathroom stall. Not a total exposure, but still pretty embarrassing. However, the whole experience justified my "underwear must match shirt, in case you're pantsed in public" rule.]
  4. was told by a good guy friend, when he found out my age, "well, at least you LOOK fantastic! You don't look --!" Dang strait. I look 24. 24 and vibrant at that.

Didn't meet my husband, but overall, a pretty successful evening.

6 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

thanks for going and supporting, yo. if no fabulous people go, then it's just a bunch of 21-23 year olds! :)

Erica said...

I was there and apparently only as some form of proof to HF that I do care about getting married one day-but not as an actual way he planned on me meeting anyone datable. My life story. Finding a guy at a dance or activity was impossible even when I was 20 though so why should it be different now that I am considered a dinosaur by the guys there(even those my age). I just go to actually dance. By myself. Whee!

Gina Marie said...

I hate to say it, but I agree... I'm thinking I might be converting to the younger ones... Not as bad as Krissy, but I'm headed there. It's unfortunate but so true!

Unknown said...

I went to one of those once, I was 24. The first guy who asked me to dance talked non-stop about his ex. Then he sneezed into his hand and got boogers all over his hand. I thought he would excuse himself to go to the bathroom.

Um, no. He put his hand back on my waist, wiping it a bit, and left me with boogers all over my dress for the rest of the evening.

I am now 30, and I have never been to another one of THOSE things.....

Chelle said...

Don't forget that many of the supposedly eligible guys are secretly gay... (not that I think there is anything wrong with that, I just don't want to date them)

Kerry said...

I'm proud of you for going and trying. I never had the gusto or patience for it.
And I still wish I could find an attractive fellow who measures up to your fabulousness. My eyes are constantly looking, just so you know. ; )