Friday, June 27, 2008

Neuroses

I don't get: automatic-flushing toilets.I hate them. I really do. Today, at Ikea (which is much less hideous than I have previously imagined), I had some issues with an automatic-flushing toilet. And "might we say" these issues are not ones that were new to me. Or you.
So, within my code of behavior, there are very strict guidelines about public toilets.
  1. Always try to get the first stall, statistically it is the least-used and cleanest.
  2. If a toilet has not been flushed, choose another, do not even go all the way into that stall.
  3. A toilet-seat-cover must always be properly utilized
  4. If no factory-made toilet-seat-covers are available, one must be constructed from toilet paper
  5. Actual toilet must not be touched with my actual skin. At all. Ever.
  6. Must be very careful not to let hems of pants touch bathroom floor, or top of pants touch (Heaven help us!) the toilet bowl.
  7. Flush with foot. Sometimes a dangerous endeavor, always well worth it.
  8. Always face away from toilet, or, preferably, have exited the stall altogether (a MUST when in a skirt or shorts) while toilet flushes, to avoid any back-splash or undetectable mist of toilet water.

Automatic-flushing toilets seem hyper to me. They flush all the dang time. Today, I placed a toilet-seat-cover on the seat, and of course, it flushed immediately, taking the cover with it. Tried again, same thing. Three times I put covers on, then lost them in premature flushes (I mean, before I could even turn around to sit down.)

And then, when I am actually ready for the flush, nothing. I move around, come on, motion detector, do your thing! Nothing. So, I have to push this itty-bitty rubber button to make it flush.

Problems:

  1. The thing is constantly flushing, spraying me with who-knows-what-but-I'm-sure-at-least-some-hepatitis
  2. The toilet-seat-cover has to be placed incorrectly, with the flap not in the toilet, so it doesn't get sucked down. This means I have to touch it when I'm done to knock it into the bowl.
  3. I have to touch that button. I don't even want to go there. I can't begin to list the sub-problems that go along with this problem. It will just make me even more crazy. (I am my father's daughter.)
What the hell? I was in hell.

5 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

ok.. I have several issues with this post..

- first, you have to appreciate that there is actually a toilet seat on the toilet. a convenience not found in many countries...

- second, you have to appreciate the walls between stalls, also a US phenomeon

- third, you have to appreciate that you're a girl, and 99.999% of women all sit down to use the toilet, thus preempting the many possibilities left on the seat, on the ground, on the flush handle, or elsewhere.

- fourth, we flush our toilets with chlorinated, potable water... it is the same water you drink (unless you drink evian)

... I argue that, being a man, I have 27times the nasty experience using public restrooms that you do.

kitebrdr said...

On this issue and many others dealing with cleanliness, u put the fun in disfunctional. Germs are not nearly as dastardly as u make them out to be. Your body is much more effective at protecting itself than u give it credit for. I'm not saying eat a meal on the toilet seat and finish it with a shot of water from the bowl, but holy hell it's not that dirty...

JanaB said...

As a soon to be public health official I would have to agree with nearly every point that Meghan said. . . at my University the toilets are automatic and it is like a badea. . I don't know the spelling. . but it is too much!. . . and whomever wrote the other post should try the water in DC (that killed my fish) before they think that the water is drinkable.

Amy said...

I agree 100% with you Maigs and would also like to add two more public toilet guidelines for you:

9. Always use two toilet seat covers. They rarely fit the shape of the toilet. An extra one ensures the entirety of the toilet seat to be covered.

10. Never use the first bit of toilet paper on the roll. You never know what was on the hands that broke off that previous piece and if they had to touch your piece to do it.

Paranoia? Yes. Justifiable? Yes.

Maigen said...

Aims-
I totally do those things! Awesome additions! (Except, I just add toilet paper around the edges of the cover, but two would make that process much more time effective! I'll try it next time!)