Sunday, August 3, 2008

Chicago, Day One

So, my first day in Chicago, I was all alone in the big city. I hailed my first cab, rode the subway, rode the "el," shopped on the Magnificent Mile (ahem, the Maigenificent Mile), went to Millenium Park, went to a fabulous blues club, and went to the Art Institute Museum... Alone.

Here's me as an old maid... Just kidding, but check out that rockin' fur collar!
If this is art, I am totally becoming a famous artist... I did some great doodles on the plane. (No joke, this was in the museum.)
Me and Statue.
Me as Picasso. I was doing the arms, and everything, but you can't see them. Sad...
"Head of a Guillotined Man" was particularly gross, but surprisingly not the only decapitated head painting in the museum.

This reminded me of "The Shining."
Nope, that curtian is not real... I almost had to reach out and touch the painting to be sure.

Outside the musee' at night.

Incredible statue/fountains in Millenium Park, with faces of real Chicagoans.

"A bunch of idiot kids trying to make a point of how evil we all are who drive cars," says the copper.

And at the "Buddy Guy" blues club, I learned how to project a "stay away" vibe on the one side to the gross old oogling man, and a "hey, I'm both cute and fabulous" vibe to the adorable frat boy who kept smiling over on the other. Amazing music, by the way...

I made buddies with lots of people in the city. I got hit on by tons of guys. All in all, being alone and NOT getting murdered amounted to a pretty darn successful day. A few notes:

I hate H&M. Everyone acts like it is so great, but I don't see it. Plus, being around all that cheap fabric gave me a rash.

The State Street Macy's was amazing! Loved the ceiling, and the SJP-esque gladiator sandals I got there!

Chicago-style hotdogs are really great

Do not, ever, bring 4-inch wedge-heeled sandals with you on a trip to a big city. I traded those puppies in for a pair of flip-flops in my bag about 10 minutes after I left the airport.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Amen to your H&M comment. I went for the first time last summer and didn't get it at all. The clutter of everything, the grody, cheap fabrics... it gave me a headache!

Alison said...

"Check out that rockin' fur collar!" Indeed! That is a rockin' fur collar. :) Sounds like you had fun.

wray and nat said...

So when did you go to chicago.!!!!
I serously need to call yoi i feel so out of touch!!!
love ya:)