Monday, August 18, 2008

My Dad, superhero of comedy

When we were young, I remember one particular instance when my mom and sisters and I drug our dad out shopping with us. For clothes.
We arrived home, our poor dad at the end of his rapidly fraying rope.
He got out his hand-held mini-tape recorder (just one of the many man-toys that was popular in the 80s, but may be slightly nerdy today... I bet he still has it, actually) and recorded a little message to himself.
Upon ensuing invitations to go shopping, the man simply retrieved his tape-player, rewound to the predetermined spot on the tape, and played back: "Never go shopping with Eileen and the girls again. Never."
I heard that tape many a time in my youth.
Not so funny in the re-telling, turns out, but still one of my fave Dad memories.

3 comments:

Alison said...

No, that IS really funny. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, I read that as "we drugged our dad..." and I thought, what the heck is THIS story going to be about?


But, funny enough, drugs remind me of MY dad, who did used to drug us with cough syrup on the eve before the first day of school because we couldn't sleep, and Christmas eve, because we couldn't sleep. We DIDN'T know we were being drugged mind you...we thought it was some good vitamins or something we got before big events in our lives.

Anonymous said...

How funny! I still catch myself saying your dad's famous quote "puuurrty as a pic-ture!"