Sunday, November 4, 2007

How does a FACE make a BOOK?

So, I joined "facebook," at the bidding of several friends who were already on there. Okay, given the rise of that type of communication, I admit it is one of the better choices. It's less scary/sleazy than "myspace," and is more private. (Although, I am also on "myspace," and probably never would have found my fourth grade crush otherwise... Not that we hang out.)
Although I have re-connected with some old friends (who David tells me I will talk to the one time, will add as friends, and then never talk to again), I have to rank "facebook," "myspace," "ldslinkup," etc up there with text messaging as far as the value of the communication.
Isn't this type of thing (even blogging, which I am doing at this very moment) just a way for us to see what our friends are up to without actually communicating? It's like the lazy-man's conversation. Except that there is no response on the other side. Or, at least, not one in real-time.
I am just as guilty of not calling because I can just read a blog or something as everyone else. But, it just adds to my theory that eventually we will no longer actually speak. I think it just exerts too much energy. All the strain on the vocal chords, the work to form certain sounds with our tongues and lips, the picking up of the heavy phone and dialing a friend using speed-dial. Or, worse, getting in a car and driving ourselves over there.
Plus, and I do not condone stalking, but have you noticed how easy it is to "check up" on everyone with these web-sites? I feel like a stalker or something just reading their feeds.

5 comments:

kitebrdr said...

Our vocal cords will diminish until in 200 years we will be incapable of vocal noise. That is what happens to all enlightened races, you ever hear an extra terrestrial speak? ET could barely say phone home after tons of work. Close encounters of the 3rd kind communicated with a keyboard! I think I have proved my point.

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you can now say you've increased your personal value in the neighborhood of $10,000. At least that's what Facebook claims each of their members is worth to their market cap. :-)

The Evers said...

Did I just hear Christmas music on your blog... You little crazy!

Maigen said...

Yeah, the Christmas music goes with a post from last month "Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you." You play the song while you read the post! Makes for a better experience.

Anonymous said...

I agree about the communication bit. And because agree with your comment, I will leave it that and wait to get up in your face about it.

Laters,
The Jerk