Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Get this:

I saw "The Golden Compass" the other night. It's only okay. The bears were cute, I like Sam Elliott, and Nicole Kidman wears at least one stunning outfit, but I was way annoyed by the cliff-hanger ending and general story. I mean, "dust?" "Dust" being something that is forbidden to talk about? Huh?
Overall, I dislike movies like this. I wouldn't see "Narnia," and generally, I would rather cut off my right arm rather than see any of these "fantasy" or "fairy tale" or "mystical" or whatever type flicks (but, it was a date-type-thing, so what can you do?) However, follows is some info I saw on Facebook today:

"THE GOLDEN COMPASS, a new movie targeted at children, will be released
December 7, 2007. This movie is based on a the first book of a trilogy
by atheist Philip Pullman. In the final book a boy and girl kill God
so they can do as they please. Pullman left little doubt about his
intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that 'My books are about
killing God.'
The movie is a watered down version of the first book and is designed
to be very attractive in the hope unsuspecting parents will take their
children to see the the movie and that the children will want the
books for Christmas.
The movie has a well known cast, including Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig,
and Sam Elliott. It will probably be advertised extensively, so it is
crucial that we get the word out to warn people to avoid this movie."

Is that scary or what? I wonder how, in our society (where pretty much every political candidate is quite rooted in one or another Christian belief system, and The People are using those beliefs as a measuring stick... I mean, I read an article called "Vote for God 2008") they will get away with the third part in the trilogy. They will really have to ignore or avoid the story's actual premise to have that fly. And, what the heck was Nicole Kidman thinking, getting involved in something that is sure to be controversial to such an extent I predict it will be detrimental to her career? In America, it's one thing to distribute a sex tape of you and your husband ("Eyes Wide Shut"), or even you and some random loser (Paris Hilton), but it's quite another to support a story about "killing God." Hello, "In God We Trust," muthas.

1 comment:

The Evers said...

I have a heard a lot about this! I think it is really sad! It sucks, because like you said the cast is great! Oh well, still going to pass on it! Thanks for the heads up!
BTW how many shifts left :)