Sunday, October 14, 2007

The dumbification of America







Since when is being dumb a good thing? I, and anyone I associate with (let's face it, if you aren't intelligent, I'm out) have worked hard to increase our knowledge, seeking out education and self-improvement in a myriad of ways. But, for some reason, the American public champions idiots, like they are some kind of heroes for the masses. Perhaps they are, I guess the masses are mostly idiots as well... But, don't we want smart people to look up to (and, really, why do we hold Hollywood stars as role-models anyway? Does anyone else think that whole racket is a joke?) instead of people who don't even act as smart as the average 5th grader?
I am sick of all the idiotic shows on television. I mean, "Dr. Steve-o?" Seriously. I'd rather stick my head in the oven. It is painful enough to have to see the commercials for that show (yeah, "Law and Order" marathon today sucked me in...). I am sick of "starlets" (behold above, the Royal Court of Dumb) who make millions of dollars a year based on, no, not talent, but the ability to shock the nation with their stupidity. Let's turn it over to the Rhodes Scholars for a while, shall we? We can all use a break from the mind-numbing numb-minds.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

dumbification. what a fabulous word.

kitebrdr said...

The dumbing down process will continue. Many public schools are nothing more than babysitters and the others either teach kids tricks to pass the tests that govern the school funding. Schools that are really aware carve out some time to teach how the environment is being raped by the real evil...MAN!!! Then people of all ages turn on TV and the IQ starts to dive. Reality TV, wrestling, nascar...It is amazing that any of us can dress ourselves in the morning.