Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscars: the Good, the Bad, and the Molting

I agree:

Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role
WINNER: Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood"

Isn't Daniel Day-Lewis always beyond incredible?
And I totally called this next one. If you haven't see it, you need to:

Performance By An Actress In A Leading Role
WINNER: Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose"

Achievement In Makeup
WINNER: Didier Lavergne and Jan Archibald for "La Vie en Rose"
The make-up people were really amazing. You could tell she had potential to be pretty, but was seriously unfortunate-looking in the movie. Her look at the Oscars was also one of my favorites. Gotta love a good mermaid dress. And, she's just so french. In a good way!
Something else that was good was the "Best Original Song" win for Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for "Falling Slowly" from "Once." As you know, I LOVE that movie, that song and well, them! I was so glad to see so many winners who were distinctly not-Hollywood this year. Cotillard, Hansard, Irglova, and Tilda Swinton helped make up a well-rounded group of actually talented, but not celebrity-type people winning Oscars.
So, for the Hollywood part, some of my favorite looks were surprising, including Calista Flockhart, Miley Ray Cyrus, Helen Mirren, and Jennifer Garner:






























I Disagree:
I had a lot to disagree with, starting with Collin Ferrell's greasy hair and earrings, Cate Blanchett's awkward necklace, Kathryn Heigl's blotchy face-tan, Hillary Swank's "Cache'" gown, and Cameron Diaz's pink hip-wings and strange bum-seams.














What is this dress doing to this girl's tiny frame? Hmm.... And Cate, you can be so glamorous. Remember Coco Chanel. "Before you leave the house, look in the mirror, and take one thing off." That necklace has got to go. Otherwise, you're fabulous.

















I think she is molting... I mean, I don't get it. At all. And Anne Hathaway here looks like she was attacked by a crazed cake-decorator.

















DDL, let your wife know that she really must choose between red bows, giant plastic flower, or black and white checked shoes. She can't have all three and keep a clear conscious. And Cameron, sorry girl. Love the color. Hate the dress. At least from the waist down.


Other things I didn't like:

Best Motion Picture
WINNER: "No Country for Old Men"

You all know how I felt about that movie. I just hate brutality for brutality's sake, and pure human evil. Maybe I just didn't get it.

Random thing I realized, and don't like: did anyone notice that Oscar has a very dominant forehead? He's like "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer" from the good ol' days of SNL. Cro-magnum man (sp?).

I was also sad that "Juno" won "Original Screenplay" over "Lars and the Real Girl." I LOVE "Lars," and although I really liked "Juno," it just wasn't as emotional. Also, the win by "Juno" forced us to listen to the less-than-eloquent Diablo Cody, and to look at her dress and tattoo for longer than two seconds. Ick! However, on a side note, "Diablo" is my favorite color of NARS lipstick.

2 comments:

HiccupMeL said...

I'm so glad you're back! I've missed your posts...and I actually KNEW you'd write about the Oscars and I've looked forward to your opinions!

Hilarious by the way...I laughed right out loud about a few of your descriptions. I'm a Daniel Day Lewis fan too! And, I also wept for his wife's dress.

wray and nat said...

you are somawesome!!!! YOU SHOULD BE ONE OF THOSE COMICAL HOST ON E TV!!!!