Friday, February 29, 2008

"Semi-Pro"fessional Idiot

Ok, so not to be a traitor to my generation, or anything... and not to diminish the true love I have had for him in the past and certainly will again in the future... but why another stupid movie, Will Ferrell? (Oh, and I know my punctuation is all over the place in that sentence, umm... not entirely sure what would make it better.)

I love Will. A lot. But, I have no desire to see "Semi-Pro." It just looks exactly like "Talladega Nights," which looks exactly like "Blades of Glory," which looks exactly like "Old School." I love those movies. Especially "Old School," and certain scenes from "Blades of Glory" that led to me leaving the theater with mascara smeared all over my face and hands from laughing until I cried, but dude, another one?

I like it when he mixes it up with movies like "Stranger Than Fiction" and "Bewitched." He is still funny and stupid in those, but they give us a much needed break from the classic, but tiring Will Ferrell. I even think the "Mugatu" role in "Zoolander" (his first great role, in my opinion: "do me a favor and lose five pounds like now or get out of my building!" "'Am I the only one who notices that it's all one look? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" "Todd, are you not aware that I get all farty and bloated with a foamy latte'?") was a little different, if for no other reason than we don't see him in his tighty-whities for the space of a whole hour and thirty minutes.

Anyway, here's hoping that his next movie is a little smarter, and that I will see it. I just want him to be a little less obvious with his humor. He will be funny either way. He can't help it. He's Will Ferrell.

Photo by Frank Masi/New Line Cinema

1 comment:

Rhia Jean said...

I agree 100%! But sadly, every few years society has a new batch of Tweenagers and Hollywood likes to have something for them to feast on. Why it has to be Will Ferrell 95% of the time, I do not know. Maybe they do a random drawing of old SNL faves and some crazed Will Ferrell fan has figured out a way to fix that drawing every time.